Skip to main content

Deferring Prior Educational Loans

You may be eligible to defer payment on prior educational loans while you are enrolled at least half-time as a student at Northwestern. Contact your lender to determine if you qualify for a student deferment. Typically, the deferment process depends on the loan type.

Federal Stafford, Federal Graduate PLUS and alternative loans

  1. The University Registrar sends your enrollment information to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse once a month.
  2. The Clearinghouse notifies your lender(s) and/or servicer(s) that you are in school.
  3. If your lender(s) or servicer(s) send you a deferment form, simply bring or send it to your school's registrar office. The form will be forwarded to the Clearinghouse for completion.

Federal Perkins Loan

  1. Contact your former school to obtain a Student Deferment form (your former school is your lender for Federal Perkins Loan).
  2. Complete the "Student Section" of each deferment form as directed.
  3. Bring or send each deferment to your school's registrar's office.
  4. Your registrar will complete the form and send it to your former school.
  5. Contact your lender(s) by telephone 6-8 weeks after school begins or after submitting the form to your registrar (whichever is later) to verify that your student deferment has been processed.\

Your responsibilities while in deferment

  • Notify your lender(s) of any change in circumstance (e.g., change in address, phone number, name, enrollment status) that might affect your deferment(s).
  • Contact your lender(s) immediately if you continue to receive requests for payment after school has started and/or you have submitted a Student Deferment form. Your Registrar may need to send an enrollment history to your lender(s) to verify your eligibility.