Skip to main content

Feinberg School of Medicine (MD Program)

When should I apply for financial aid?

The deadline for incoming applicants is generally March 1 each year. Returning students should submit their financial aid application by April 1 each year.

Do I need to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. Students must submit all of the required application documents each year they wish to receive financial aid.

Which forms are required in order to apply for financial aid?

You can find more information about applying for financial aid on our Application webpage.

What happens if my financial aid documents are not in by the financial aid deadline?

The Office of Financial Aid can not guarantee an award and funds will be posted to your account by the first day of classes. This may result in late fees, registration/transcript holds, and not receiving a living/book expense refund in a timely manner. If you are passed the deadline, please submit the missing items immediately. The sooner these are in the sooner you will receive an award. We ask that you allow 4 to 6 weeks to process an award after all of your financial aid documents are in. Please be sure to view your checklist to be sure no further information is required and all documents are received.

I filed and extension with the IRS. What can be done in the interim?

Please submit a copy of the extension form submitted to the IRS, the previous year's tax return and this year's W-2s. After this is received, a preliminary award can be completed. However, we will need a copy of the current year's required federal tax return once you file. Without this, the financial aid office can not do an official award.

How much is tuition for the Feinberg School of Medicine?

View tuition rates for the Feinberg School of Medicine. Tuition typically increases by a small percentage each academic year.

How is financial need determined?

There are several components taken into consideration when determining a student's financial need. A student's Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is determined by information provided on the FAFSA and other data reported on the University Aid Application. The Office of Financial Aid also inputs the parents' tax information into the federal calculation for need to determine the EFC. The EFC is then subtracted from the student's cost of attendance, which is an estimate of the expenses a student will incur during the academic year. The end result is the student's financial need.

How much of the costs will my financial aid cover?

Students will be offered financial aid to cover 100% of their cost of attendance for the academic year. Aid offered may include scholarship, grant or loan assistance. The cost of attendance includes direct costs, such as tuition and fees, as well as indirect expenses, such as living, personal and transportation expenses.

Are grants and scholarships available?

Students are considered for need-based grants and merit-based scholarships at the time of admission. Students who are not awarded grants and scholarships at the time of admission will not be considered for these awards in later years. The Office of Financial Aid lists links to outside scholarships on their website and also has information available in their office. Students may also look for outside scholarship assistance on the web at websites such as, or any other scholarship search engine. Please keep in mind that students should not be required to submit any form of payment in order to apply for outside scholarships.

What loans programs are available?

View loan options for graduate students for more information.

What kind of financial aid is available for International Students?

International students are generally offered financial aid through private, credit-based loans approved for international students. Students may choose any lender they wish. These loans generally require the student to have a credit-worthy cosigner who is a US citizen or permanent resident.

I have an anticipated credit on my account. Can I receive those funds before classes start?

No. Students may not request a refund via CAESAR until the first day of class.

Classes have started but my funds have not yet disbursed. I need money for living expenses and books. What should I do?

If a student has completed all required documents and their term has officially started but their funds have not disbursed, they may come to the Office of Financial Aid with their Wildcard to request a cash advance. The maximum amount of cash advance per month varies per program. The cash advance will appear as a charge against the student's anticipated credit.

I accepted more loan assistance than I need. Can I reduce or cancel my loans?

Yes. Students who wish to reduce or cancel their loans can e-mail the Office of Financial Aid from their NU e-mail account and request to reduce their loan assistance. Students must include their name and student ID number and state the loan program they wish to reduce or cancel. If they wish to reduce the loan and not completely cancel it, they should state the amount to which they want the loan reduced.

Am I able to request additional loan assistance beyond what I accepted?

If students rejected a portion of their loan assistance at the beginning of the year and decide later that they need those funds, they can request that the Office of Financial aid reinstates their originally offered loan amounts. Students may be required to complete additional loan applications or documents depending on the loan type. If students accepted 100% of the aid they were offered in their financial aid award, they are generally not eligible to receive additional funding unless they can document extenuating circumstances (i.e. medical bills not covered by insurance). For more information on requesting additional funding for extenuating circumstances, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.

How will an outside scholarship affect my financial aid?

If a student has accepted 100% of their loan assistance, the Office of Financial Aid will be required to return an equal portion of their loan assistance to make room in the cost of attendance for the outside scholarship. If a student has declined a portion of their loan assistance equal to or greater than the amount of the scholarship, their other aid will not be affected.

Where should my outside scholarship check be sent?

Scholarship checks should be sent to the Office of Financial Aid at 710 N. Lake Shore Drive, Suite 629, Chicago, IL 60611

Do I have to submit my parents' information with my application?

Yes. For purposes of institutional grant and scholarship assistance, students must submit their parents' information as part of the application for financial aid. Students under the age of 26 (or who will not be 26 by August 1) must provide parental information if they wish to be considered for institutional need-based grant assistance. Please see the application requirements for exceptions and additional information.